Blog 1: Learning PlanI had a meeting with Trainer Christine Watson in Starbucks on the Lisburn road in South Belfast to discuss my role throughout my placement within the TrainingMatchmaker.com organisation on 2nd of May 2019. To begin the talk with Christine, she gave me a start date of my placement which was 7th of May 2019. As Christine was the trainer and mentor for my placement she gave me a list of different courses to look at and complete to help me build more skills and understanding of video, photo editing and content marketing in general. Christine pointed me towards a great website called trainingmatchmaker.com which she created herself to help people such as myself to learn new software and software techniques. The Trainingmatchmaker.com website allows you to learn from some of the world’s biggest names in photo and video editing such as “Pixar in a box” and “Apple” – it signposts to thousands of free online learning opportunities. It is great to be able to complete my work placement with a learning organisation as it enabled me not only to learn new skills but also lets me put them to practice and indeed to use within any future projects of my own.
Throughout the placement I have set goals from what Christine has told me from the scoping meeting we initially had to discuss the placement. This was supported by my own research using the ‘Find a Course’ section of the trainingmatchmaker.com website. This is the range of software I plan to adopt and the learning goals I would like to achieve during my time on placement;
- Lumen 5 – Using it to create videos.
- Canva – Using Canva to create graphics.
- Google Local Guide – Using Google local guide to contribute photos, videos and write reviews on Google Maps. I would aspire to make it to level 10 – to achieve this Local Guide level I need to be awarded 100,000 points – each photo I contribute gives me 5 points!
- WordPress – Be able to create and update blog content.
- Gopro Quik – To use Quik to create short videos from photos and video for distribution on different social media platforms to showcase some of my work during my placement.
- Google analytics – Use Google analytics to see the number of views on my blogs. I have agreed to achieve at least 100 views on my first blog before 28 May 2019.
- Google Digital Garage – Learn from the course that Google provides for free, online – it is called Google digital garage and on completion I obtain a certificate to add to my CV.
- MIT University – Discover and complete at least one course. I found out about Edx.org as a result of my research on the learning opportunities available for free online via trainingmatchmaker.com
- Pixar in a box – Discover and complete storyboard telling by the famous Pixar team.
My name is Ronan, I have a HND Level 5 in Visual Effects & Animation and a level 2 in social media at Belfast Metropolitan College. I have always wanted to be a 3D modeller and hope to be in the future. I have recently been taking a short liveskills course in Digital Marketing and New Technologies at Belfast Met to learn new and existing skills. There are two parts to the course with the first part of it being learning based. The first part of the course helped me learn new skills and software that I didn’t know existed within photo and video editing that I can now use in the future. The second part to the liveskills course is being given the opportunity to have a placement within an organisation that will help me develop the understanding of how a real workplace works and also develop new skills and practice their application in a work based scenario. The liveskills course is a great course for people who want to learn basic skills within photo editing and video editing.If you would like to find out more of the tutorials that I have created you can do by clicking on the titles below which will bring you to the tutorial. I have created a number of wonderful and easy tutorials that you can follow and create yourself.